Thursday, December 9, 2010

Incredible feedback I just received

Dear Gaila,
I am writing you after three months of using the book with my most severely dyslexic boy. I have been trying to teach him three letter words since he was in third grade! Now he's in sixth grade, has had many other teachers trying to help him but it just results in frustration and tears from him. He lost most of last year in hospital struggling to overcome cancer, so with chemo etc. it hasn't been easy. However, Praise G-d, he now seems to be healthy! That's the main thing.
This year he has been doing Reading Rocks! with me and it was my last ditch attempt – I'd tried everything. And he has reached page 50! He does manage to get the pages read in one minute and if he finishes before time is up he starts again so that we can get a words per minute score. Once he went over 100! He doesn't like to draw so we don't do the make a pic part, but instead I let him write the words on the whiteboard as a dictation – the same words obviously, as in the story. He is so proud of himself and loves to plot his scores on the graph. Highly motivating.
I can't compliment you highly enough on this book – it has filled an empty spot where there was just nothing that quite fit! You have it all covered – phonics, high frequency words, meaningful and funny stories which the kids actually enjoy. (We once had to read a phonics book about the "the tin pin on the fin" !! What the heck??)
So, I hope it is going well and expect you will get a lot of demand once the word spreads.

Happy Hannuka!
Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment