Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Adaptation of Reading Rocks! works just as well!

B"H
Hi Gaila, Good morning!

I just want you to know that I adapted your technique as added practice and extended vocabulary for the material of the text book I use (and ended up deciding to use what I had prepared both in my grade five classes - for whom I meant to create these particular worksheets - and my grade sixes who are weak because I had a family tragedy last year and missed a lot of school which affected their progress). This week is the first time I used it and it was great!
I feel like this is one of the keys to open the door toward better reading skills together with improved vocabulary. You should know that my grade six classes have approximately 32 pupils in them and they were really into this method with me!

Even when I had them read one at a time [if the "first" child made a mistake then the "second" child needed to repeat the same phrase - read and translate it - and only when one of the pupils did it correctly did we continue.]

I had 43 phrases and the goal was to get from phrase 1 to phrase 43 within a certain time frame (this made it a class challenge for the kids to work together toward the goal, needing to listen to one another and to my corrections when there were mistakes - when a child didn't listen the others reminded everyone to pay attention).

I didn't prepare the "Reading and Vocabulary" practice page with numbers but ended up have them write the numbers to make things easier for those who have trouble following. When we read the phrases as a full class together I would stop and ask certain pupils who might be lost where we were.

I suppose I could have just told them to read the line where we were but it was mostly for the very weak readers that I wanted to do this - to make sure they were also following without putting them on the spot before everyone.

At a later point I might make some suggestions for your book for your future printings. At the moment I am pressed for time saturated with pedagogical meetings etc. etc. I am sooooo glad that I sat in on your lesson at the ETAI conference in Beer-Sheva!

Thank you so much, Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment